Tuesday, May 03, 2005

questions with no answers

Okay, so it has been awhile since I have posted. Not that I think tons of people are out there anxiously awaiting my next post. But I have had some people ask me why it has been so long. Honestly, I have had a really hard time figuring out what to say. Not that I have nothing to say, anyone who has known me for about a week or more knows that I have plenty to say. But lately it has seemed like I just have so many words and thoughts and don't know where to begin. I find that when it gets like that, I sometimes have to take a break and get my thoughts in order. However, I have a feeling this particular post is still going to be somewhat jumbled.

To be honest, I have been angry lately. I have experienced some serious questioning of the Lord and it has been hard. I am not through it and do not know when I will get there. All I know is that someone long ago was very right...life is not fair. Why is it that my husband and I became pregnant four months after marriage, while on birth control, totally unplanned, still with a year left of college, even after doctors told me it might not even be possible...and yet...I have family members whose babies have died in their arms...complete strangers whose blogs I read daily whose babies are fighting for their lives,some who have not won? Why is this? I love my precious baby boy and thank God every day for the blessing he is in my life. But I refuse to believe the foolish words of those trying to be a comfort saying that "it's all part of God's plan" for other babies to die. NO! Death was not part of His plan. Our fallenness took God's perfect gift of life and turned it into the sin, pain, injustice and death that we witness daily.

I love the Lord, and I do believe that He has a plan. Do I believe that He can work through horrible catastrophes in our lives? Yes. I have seen it firsthand. But I also know that I am a comfort to no one, especially one who is watching their child suffer, when I pretend to ignore the pain that cuts us deep, that makes us human. We cannot ignore the questions...maybe I am just a cynic, but I guess that's why I am also what Mike Cope has called an "already, but not yet" kind of Christian. Yes, I believe that God's reign has broken in, but I mostly long for what is still to come. As he said in part of his January 3rd post...

I deeply love "already Christians." I need to be prodded by them. But I don't share much of their outlook. And it seems at times like their hyper-confidence is damaging to struggling people.
When they talk about all the times God has spoken to them, I think of all the silences. When they speak of instantaneous healings, I remember all the people I've pleaded with God to heal but who died (including my daughter). When they talk about how God keeps pouring down his blessings (often meaning homes, cars, vacations, etc.), I think of all the people who become poorer as a result of their faith.
They speak of a way of blessing. The gospel speaks of a blessing that involves loss and persecution. They leapfrog to Easter Sunday; the gospel goes through Good Friday and Silent Saturday.


There is a new song by Natalie Grant that has really ministered to me because it speaks of this very thing, and is just completely raw and honest. I just love the song because it speaks so boldly and truthfully...i think that is why it can touch people, because it doesn't try to cover up with the same old cliches about God always having a plan...while of course this is true, that is sometimes not the most comforting thing to hear...you want to be told that it is okay to hurt and to grieve...and to know that this is what His love means for us...not that this world will not be hard, but that when it is hard and horrible and full of sin and pain and death, He will hold us...here are the lyrics...

Two months is too little, they let him go, they had no sudden healing.
To think that providence would take a child from his mother while she prays is appalling
Who told us we'd be rescued? What has changed and why should we be saved from nightmares? We're asking why this happens to us who have died to live...it's unfair...

This is what it means to be held, how it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive. This is what it is to be loved, and to know that the promise was when everything fell, we'd be held.

This hand is bitterness...we want to taste it, let the hatred numb our sorrow. The wise hand opens slowly to lilies of the valley and tomorrow.

This is what it means to be held, how it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive. This is what it is to be loved, and to know that the promise was when everything fell, we'd be held.

If hope is born of suffering...if this is only the beginning...can we not wait for one hour, watching for our Savior?

This is what it means to be held, how it feels when the sacred is torn from your life and you survive. This is what it is to be loved, and to know that the promise was when everything fell, we'd be held.

This is what it means to be held.



I appreciate the line at the beginning that says it is appalling to think of a child being taken from his mother as she prays. I do not pretend to know what it is like to lose a child, or that I have the perfect words to say...I don't think there are any words that you can say. Even now as I type, I know I am failing to say what I truly wish I could. As a mother, I cannot imagine losing my sweet baby Jack. I do know that instead of trying to have wise words about what God's plans are...I am going to leave those plans to God. He will be the ultimate haven of rest...but in this life, I want to be a shoulder that is okay to cry on, an ear that doesn't mind the screaming, and a heart that shares the pain of my brothers and sisters.

Death was not part of His plan. I trust in the Lord and His unfailing love. I know also that the same Lord who gave us that love watched His son die on a tree for my fallen soul. And I know He must have hurt deeply for His child. Perhaps we can learn a new lesson from that familiar story. It's okay to hurt, it's okay to be angry. It's important to remember Friday as we anxiously await Sunday.

I thank God for the ways that He does use tragedies to bring people to their knees, to bring families together, and to turn His children's eyes to Him. But I also pray, more than any of this...

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

14 comments:

Jana said...

Really smart thinking, Christine. Wish more people felt this way...

Anonymous said...

Hey cousin Christine

Okay Im sitting here at work and shouldnt even be on the computer...but I read your blog for the first time in a while and this post was totally what I needed to hear. Thats how I feel today and everyday. They way you put it though makes complete sense. Kisses to sweet baby Jack and big hugs to you and Matty P. Love Yall,
ash

Anonymous said...

ohhhh tine, thank you for your heart! i love it, raw as ever!! thank you for being honest...the Lord honors you! i just got back from a beth moore conference. i wish that you would have been there with me. it was titled 'tell me how' catered to girls our age!
and, by the way, of course i have natalie grant on my ipod..but you still need to get nichole nordeman's new cd, brave, and make sure you get the special edition version...and i'm off for the summer, and very much need to spend time with my christine, of whom i haven't seen in a couple of years. wow, how time flies. i would love to share with you what is going on with me.
love you tine.
molly

Jenna said...

I'm so glad you're back blogging! Thank you for sharing today...Your words were good to hear. I've missed hearing from my wise cousin...I love you and can't wait to see you again soon. Give Jack a kiss from Aunt Jenna!

Leah said...

It was such a joy to see a new new post and to read your precious words. It was so neat to read your blog and feel the love you have for little man Jack. It is so sweet! One great thing about having friends for a while is we get to experince life changes together. I has been a a great joy watching you go from single in the city to now mommy in the city. Can't wait to see you guys :)!
Love you both.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine! This is Brandynn, Brad's wife, from the Stanford side of the family. Believe it or not we do check in on your blog (and Matt's) from time to time and are very glad to "hear" from you again. We also keep track of baby Ira, and baby Noah's family.

Thank you for your words. I'm new to the whole blogging thing but I like the depth it carries. Family get-togethers are good but seems conversations never get too personal there. But with blogging then the real deal comes out.

I've had these same thoughts, as I'm sure all of us have. I don't have any answers either. Many times when my little Gideon has fallen asleep (and often when he's awake) I'll gaze at him and be so thankful for his life. But sometimes I wrestle with the guilt. How can I be happy knowing other moms have lost their little ones. Or knowing that while my little fella is covered in love and gobs of kisses and attention, too many babies are screaming because of abuse and neglect. It's so overwhelming at times and I feel so helpless.

Of course God has a plan, but you're right, those words are of little comfort to those in the midst of suffering. What I find comforting is that the Lord experienced the same things that we go through on this little planet, every possible thing. The fact that the Creator of the universe knows exactly how I feel is beyond amazing. There's nothing that happens to us that He doesn't know exactly how to bring us through it. And that He grieves when we grieve, and rejoices when we rejoice. Words are inadequate for a love like that.

And I remember that God knows what it's like to lose a child. I used to think, "What's the big deal with that though? Jesus died but He rose again, He's alive now." But I've come to believe that the pain and separation God endured on our behalf is something too excruciating for us to even begin to comprehend. And so He is able to carry us, to grieve with us, to absorb our anger and our hurt. He is not afraid of the hard questions. He is our Strength. He is our Shield. He is our Comforter.

I found this prophecy in Isaiah a few months ago. Thought I would share it here.

Isaiah 65:19-23

"I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.

Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth; he who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed.

They will build houses and dwell in them; they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.

No longer will they build houses and others live in them, or plant and others eat. For as the days of a tree, so will be the days of my people; my chosen ones will long enjoy the works of their hands.

They will not toil in vain or bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the LORD, they and their descendants with them."


Our God is faithful. He will bring about what He has promised. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the world. They are a help and encouragement to more than you know.

Love,
Brandynn

Heather's House said...

Oh Christine...you took the words right out of my mouth!! Thank you for your tender heart and sweet spirit! I'm glad you are back to blogging! I have missed your words of wisdom....

Love you...Heather

Kyle said...

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous. You don't post for two months and get 7 posts, and I only get around 2 on average. Maybe 5 or more if I ask a question outright.

Great thoughts. I, too, have struggled with the idea of death and what God allows or causes. I've listened to non-Christians who debated the existance or relevance of God go on about why God let's something like the Holocaust happen, or rape and murder and horrible things like this. I don't know what to say. All I can do is say, yeah, life sucks. But I believe that God doesn't kill, and he doesn't leave us alone to fend for ourselves. I think that he guides and protects us, but even if he doesn't he is still God. I take comfort in knowing that as God he can see the big picture even when we can't. To him a second is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a second. My life is the blink of an eye, and yet it is precious to my Creator. I think that life is life, but God has a better place prepared. Whatever else happens, this I know.

Kate said...

Tine,
You write like the way you sing...from the heart. There is no facade to hide behind, and that is so much more powerful. Thank you for sharing such sincere thoughts. You blog has touched on what so many people we know are feeling and experiencing. I was so glad to get to see you and Matt and Jack in Ft. Worth. I miss you!
Love,
Kate

Olivia said...

Hey, it's me. I did not see an e-mail address so I am posting as a comment. Thanks agian for visiting my blog and writing such a sweet note. I visted your sites and saw your beautiful son. How old is he now? I can't believe that we are all grown up. I don't know how much you know of my current situation, but I ask for prayers. I guess like you mention in your thoughts, God has different plans then we do.
The funny thing is I don't feel very "strong." I honestly don't know what else to do except keep going and hope that someday things will be different. I have a choice to help that or hinder that, and I refuse to let satan have any glory. If I am going to go down fighting, that is exactly what I will do.
I have 4 more Chemo treatments to go, so my last will be July 2006. I am so happy. Inspired by Grace has been a blessing. You mentioned you would pray for it, and I thank you for that. I want God to use me as His tool, in every area of my life.
I will never forget you singing at Sing Song, "Daddy please tell me why?" I will never forget sitting in the front row, watching you and getting chills as I knew you were singing your heart.
I hope we can keep up!
In Christ,
Olivia

Olivia said...

PS. As a mom who has lost a child, I thank you for expressing my heart in a way that I could not do for myself. Death is not part of God's plan, and I have asked myself repeatedly questions of "why" and "what if." I can say it does not make my life easier knowing Natalie is in heaven and I am not, but I have never been more focused on the eternal than after holding her that morning. She is an angel sent to remind me and others that what is true and real is not always what is seen and touched.
Thank you, Christine.
Olivia

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

christine,
you're email is not on your blog.
i can't believe you live in my old apartments! oh me!!!! i loved them when i was there....yes, toooooo much time has gone by. i was beginning to get nervous. :)
moppyca@yahoo.com
love you

Anonymous said...

Christine, I love your blogs. You are truly a gifted writer. They always make me well up. And now I have finally figured out how to post a response. woo hoo. The past few years have had a lot of ups and downs for our families. Before it seemed we did have a little hedge of protection and I must confess, I liked it that way. Then all of the sudden many trials and heartbreaks hit in the lives of loved ones who did not seem to being doing anything to deserve them. I'll probably never be able to understand or explain them. It makes us all question, and sometimes I think I try too hard to figure out how to spiritualize everything that happens. But this I have learned in the valleys--God is still by my side. He doesn't prevent everything we want Him to prevent, nor does he bring about everything we want in this life. Someday we may understand, but by then we probably won't care! But He also doesn't waste a moments pain that we endure, He sees each tear that we shed, and He promises to work it all for our good because we love Him. He still has a plan whether it's clear to me or not. Both believers and non-believers will face hard times, but for those who believe we will never face them alone. Whether we live a day, or a hundred years this life is so short! And we can rest assured that one day we will truly fix our eyes on Jesus and then we will see clearly for all eternity. Come quickly Lord Jesus! Sorry this is so long! I love you and am so thankful you are my daugter in law. Granny P

Chelsie Sargent said...

Thanks you so much for your sweet message! It was so fun to read- I love how blogging can keep you connected with so many people! And thank yiu for the encouragement, I know you have been through lots of change in the past couple of years-but what exciting change you have been able to expereince! I will tell Steve you said hello- blessings!
Much Love,
Chelsie (Fletcher) Sargent