Saturday, July 28, 2007

"I'm Free!!!"

Those were the words that you greeted me with at the top of the stairs this morning...translation: "I'm Three!"

Oh my sweet Baby Jack,
I cannot believe it has been three years since I first laid eyes on you. From the moment that your daddy placed you in my arms, I was in love. I can remember the flood of emotions that hit me in those next weeks and months-and I continue to be amazed at just how much love I have for you. The overwhelming responsibility that comes with guiding and guarding your precious soul...of leading you to Jesus, and yet knowing that you must also find Him for yourself. I want to protect you so badly from anything that could harm you, and yet I know that you are only mine for awhile. I am so thankful that God has entrusted you to your daddy and me. What a joy you are to us! I love the way that I already see in you the same sense of humor, the same resilience and strength, and the same gentleness that I love so much in your daddy. In your three years, you have already had to be so strong and flexible. You were the sunshine that got me through the last several months of storm, and you are the greatest big brother to little Sam-I can't wait to watch you two together.
I hope that you will always know how very much you are loved. Everyone that is around you is instantly endeared to your funny little personality, your sweet spirit and of course, those eyes and that HAIR! I love to watch you at this age, as you soak up everything around you. You love to learn and to discover new things. I love that you already speak in movie quotes, also just like your daddy! I love that your imagination is limitless-I wish that I had a tape recorder with me at all times to pick up those sweet conversations I hear you having up in your playroom. You are so treasured and adored by your family. Your grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, great grandparents, etc...they all love their Jack Jack!

I don't know why this birthday has been harder on your little mommy; why three seems so much older than two. Maybe it is because you have changed so much over this year-you are talking so well and just seem like such a little boy! Maybe it is because of all that our little family has gone through in the past year, and the way that you have just gone with the flow and been such a big boy about it all. (Not that it was all bad-I mean you were getting seriously spoiled by Mimi and Giggi!) Maybe it is because you are now not only my baby, but also a big brother. You have been so helpful with baby Sam-getting mommy diapers and helping give him his bath and his pacifier, singing him songs in the back seat of the car when he is crying, or helping me pat him on the back to get those burps out! It is going to be so much fun to watch you two grow up together. I can't wait to see the adventures you will have, the wrestling and giggling that I will hear upstairs, and hopefully the deep bond of friendship that you will develop as you get older.

It was hard for me to only choose a few pictures to put on my blog, and it's always harder for me to find pictures of you and me since I prefer to be BEHIND the camera-but I think the ones I chose are just a glimpse into why you are loved by so many-just look at that smile-it's infectious...and I really love the one of you in the pool-all you need is some flippers and a line of sunscreen down your nose to look like a little old man on the beach! You continue to make us laugh, even when we are trying to discipline you, which can make it a little challenging for your daddy and me to do so. Speaking of challenging, yes, that word might describe you at times at this age...but I wouldn't trade it for a moment, because I know that years from now I will so desperately want each of those moments back.

You will always be my baby, the one who made me a mother. I can't believe you are three years old and yet I can't believe that you haven't always been with me. I am so thankful for what my life is because you are in it. And I can't wait to see what your life becomes. I pray that you will always know my love for you, and yet I hope more than that, you will know the love of your Heavenly Father, the one who gave you to me and the one who gave his own Son for you. I pray that your life will bring honor and fame to the name of the Lord. That seems like an easy prayer, but it is not, because those people who make the Lord famous often have great trials. Looking at you sleeping in your bed at the age of three, it is hard to imagine any harm ever coming to you. I want so badly to keep you safe, but so much more than that I want to see you serve the Lord and to lead others to Him.

This verse was on your birth announcement, and it is so true.
"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him. Like arrows in the hands of warriors are sons born in one's youth." ~Psalms 127:3-4

Thank you for the strength that you bring to your daddy and me through your gentleness. You are a precious gift and I love you so much sugar bear, booger, bubby, little man, Jack Jack...my baby Big Boy.










8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, Christine...I am so proud of you! You are such a precious mommy and woman of God. Jack has brought us all some amazing joy, hasn't he. I can hardly wait to see what God has in store for our "little man" - I already know He is using him to bring joy to everyone he meets. I love what you said about him finding Jesus himself. That is so important...but the journey you and Matt are leading him on will surely strengthen his faith in the Lord. How blessed we all are to be on the journey with you all!
Hugs!

Kate said...

What a sweet post, Christine! You are such a wonderful mother, and I know that Jack will cherish these words that you are writing to him and reread them later as a reminder of how loved he is. Happy birthday to you too! Love you!

Courtney said...

Precious thoughts. I'm tearing up as I completely relate to all the things you are thinking and feeling. This third birthday also brought me some bittersweet moments as that separation begins of seeing this little man becoming his own person. I never cease to be amazed at the similarities in our boys and in us as moms. I treasure your friendship and one reason is because of the way you so deeply love your husband and boys. Jack is a richly blessed boy. We love Mickey Jack!

By the way, Little John is still talking about Jack's birthday party, how much fun it was, and how great his playroom is. :)

Giggi said...

We all love our Jack Jack!!! He is such a precious boy, & yes getting to be such a big boy! Seeing him turn three was such a milestone & its hard to believe how fast time flies by! We have much to look forward to as God grows him into the man he is creating. I have no doubt he will have those truths stored in his heart. What a joy to watch you & Matt love, teach, & even when you have to discipline. You are both awesome parents, & it gives me comfort to know its ok if I spoil him once in while because his foundation is firm. What fun it will be & already is watching him big a big brother! We love you guys!

Lynn said...

You were NOT kidding when you said we all love our JACK. He is so precious to us. As is now, Baby Sam and then of course their parents. I love watching your lives unfold....thanks for sharing it with us. LOVE YOU GUYS

Heather's House said...

OH! Happy Birthday, sweet Jack! We send our LOVE all the way from Houston! Come see us. We miss you.

Love, the Sabs

Jessica and Matt said...

Wow. I know I have no idea who you are (except a friend of Molly). And I'm barely a friend of Molly... I am a friend of a friend. But your blog--starting with your profile pretty much just made me cry! So just know that you don't know how many strange blogstalkers your blog ministers to.

Thanks. :)
Jessica

Summer said...

I loved this post and all of the sweet baby pictures. It is amazing to look back and see how fast he has grown! I am sorry I didn't get to see you last weekend too! I have been praying for you, and am so thankful that you are feeling a little better (according to Kate. . .) I hope that is still true since your shower is this weekend. I have an Abilene shower on Sunday too, so I won't be able to come, but Kate and I sent a gift. Hope it makes it in time! We love your sweet family, and are so thankful that baby Sam is here and healthy! Blessings on all of you!