Friday, July 06, 2007

"The NICU Jinx"

I have heard of the "NICU Jinx", and I guess it has hit us...probably because I blogged about it...so we aren't coming home today. I hate it, but I also don't want Sam going home before he is ready. They are hoping that he will be ready by tomorrow...but I am not saying that until I know it for sure this time!

He is doing alright, but they need to make sure that he can go down on his formula and not lose too much weight. Right now they are fortifying my milk with 27 calorie formula, and lipids (fat) to help him gain weight...most babies go home on 20 calorie and preemies usually on 22. They are going to try him on 24 calories and let him go home on that for a little while and let the pediatrician decide how long before going down to 22. I am glad that they caught it before we went home, because then they said he would have ended up back at a children's hospital, and I at least like keeping him here where they already know him until he is really ready to be at home and eat and grow well.

We also found out some good news about his little head. They were concerned because they did not see any growth, and apparently their heads are supposed to grow a half a centimeter to a centimeter each week (glad that slows down!) and his had not been growing. But after the doctor measured him today, it looks like it has grown. They will just have the pediatrician follow that very closely along with his heart murmur, so please continue to pray that everything just grows and develops as it should.He's just a little peanut and has some growing to do, but we sure are proud of everything he has done up to this point!

We were sad to hear that we weren't going home today, but they are going to let us room in again tonight and hopefully we will all three go home together tomorrow. I'm mostly sad for Jack, because I know he is excited and has been helping Mimi and Giggi ready our house for his brother's arrival. My mom said he brought his rocking chair downstairs last night and put it beside my rocking chair because he wanted to "help mommy with baby sam". He also has a little basket full of pacifiers and preemie diapers so that he can get them for me when I need them...what a sweetheart...he's my little helper and I sure can't wait to hold both of my babies together!

I am thankful for my mom and Matt's mom for helping clean the house and get it ready for our homecoming, and also to my mom for staying with Jack so he can be in his own bed and be there when we get home. We are looking forward to getting there...and hopefully it will be soon! I probably won't blog again until we are there, so that I don't keep us here too much longer...I am really ready to say goodbye to this hospital!

We continue to thank GOD, for wonderful family and friends who have walked through all these hills and valleys with us, and because HE continues to be good to us ALL THE TIME. We will wait on HIM and we'll post again hopefully very soon...from HOME!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Always, and rightly so, in God's perfect timing. We will be circling your house tomorrow with about 300 3-5th graders and adult sponsors to pray for the 4 of you. If yall aren't there yet, Jack can stand in the middle!!! We have waited for our litle peanut and can wait a little longer!
Hugs and kisses and prayers abounding!
Mom

Courtney said...

You're so right to want him home when he can STAY there! Still so excited for all of you! Your mom said you were craving fruit. I happen to have a load of organic plums and nectarines at my house. Whenever you want, I'll bring them over! Can't wait to hug your neck!

Shelly said...

Pooey. I'm sure you guys were disappointed but like you said, how great they get to keep him there instead of Children's. I have a load of fun goodies in my car for Sam. Just give me a call whenever you're ready for me to drop them by. I'll think positively and say, "Happy last night at the hospital!" Hope to see you tomorrow!
Hugs--
Shelly

Heather's House said...

We are praying for you guys and hoping that everything continues to go well with baby Sam. You all have been in our thoughts....everyday. We love you all and hope to see you, Matt, Jack and baby Sam real soon.

Love, Heather

Kristen said...

I am so glad you guys are coming home and everyone is ok. We are still praying for you! :)

Giggi said...

It was the sweetest homecoming ever. How special to see you all four together & in your new house. Many, many answered prayers there! And what a blessing to have the prayers of the roadmap kids. Wonderful, special day. Take care of yourself, I know you'll take care of those sweet boys! Love ya, Giggi