Thursday, January 22, 2009

beaten, but not brought down...helpless and yet still hopeful

I am glad to have been back home from the hospital for the last few days. I made through a full day by myself with the boys yesterday, which is a big accomplishment for me when I am just days out from hospitalization...we have to take joy in those little victories!

I have to admit it was a frustrating feeling to be back in a hospital bed after my longest stretch at home in 3 years(almost 3 months...little victories, people). It was a pretty uneventful stay...they mostly treated my acute symptoms(the usual-horrific pain accompanied by what is probably horrific throwing up to most people-I am not very phased by puke anymore...sorry, it's gross but true) and then they laid low so as not to "provoke the beast", if you will(the beast better known as my digestive system, in case you aren't familiar). The biggest question mark still seems to be what it is that triggers these flare ups...we still don't know and don't know if we ever will...I had an appointment with my internist today(a man who deserves a whole post of his own...he is one of the smartest doctors I have ever known and one of the most compassionate human beings I have ever known...which you may not know is NOT always the case...in fact, not usually the case). He always reassures me and advocates for me and we say many prayers of thanksgiving for him all the time.

So while it seems that this rollercoaster ride has not come to an end as we hoped...it is still moving more slowly. We had been warned to be "cautiously optimistic" by my docs, and the week leading up to this last episode, I knew I was going down a familiar road...I do know my body pretty well by now. While it was discouraging...we continue to be touched by the sweetness of our God and how much better things have gotten. Never far from our minds is just how far we have been carried. And while it seems that we are still on this crazy ride...one that we know we may actually face for the rest of our life...one thing that has never changed is the amazing grace we have felt... from the Lord in His provision and protection, as well as the community He has surrounded us with in those deepest darkest parts of the valleys...we look forward to those little mountaintops as we press on in the journey towards that day when this pain will be gone for good...and we praise God for the people that He has placed in our path to help temper that pain with joy.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad to know you're back home and were able to take care of your boys. That's wonderful. We've been missing you on praise team again - hopefully we'll see you again soon. Let me know when you'd like a visit from me and Bennett. We'd love to come hang out some time! And also, please let me know if there's anything our team can do for you again. Seriously.

Still praying for you!!

Lynn said...

Tine....bless your heart. I know you are glad to be home. This roller coaster you say you are riding is certainly a long one. I know you are ready to get off. I am just so glad that you have found a dr. that you trust. We love you and are praying for and thinking of you daily.

Unknown said...

As I read your post, I, once again, am touched by your continued faith in our God of healing. Your dad and I have probably been overly optimistic about your good months, yet, that was our choice. If we waited around for another episode, always wondering what corner it would jump out from, we would have not experienced the joy of watching you actually eat a thanksgiving meal this year, getting to go to the Christmas parade and be able to hold your child up to see instead of sitting and wondering when it would be over. Watching you get your home ready for the holidays, savoring the sweet times with Jack and Sam, missing them, but so very blessed that mama felt like taking care of them...hearing your sweet voice raise up in worship, knowing that He has protected that sweet voice through so much. I used to wonder how that happened...now I believe that He loves hearing it so much, He takes extra care of it! Being together during the holidays and knowing that you were tired, but ready to go and do and watch Jack and Sam have fun! Keeping the boys on New Years Eve so that you and Matt could enjoy some adult time with sweet friends. SO MUCH JOY, Tine...I will continue to hold to the belief that God will give us more good days than bad, and that when the days are bad, He'll be right there with us, carrying us all through. Love you! Hugs!

Melissa said...

Just was moved that even when I think I would have been down, you still chose to rise above what life plagues you with and talk about what the Lord is doing in your life with small and big victories. I love that. You inspired me to realize in the most desperate of times of my brokenheartedness over past trauma I am still lucky because Jesus is on my side, and to me that is something I am forever thankful for and can spend an eternity giving my Savior thanksgiving.

Your forever sister in Christ,
Melissa

Chesley said...

I am so glad you are home. I always love to read your posts. I hope you are feeling better.
Hugs!

Leah said...

Love you girl~

Randi Freeby said...

Your faith is a constant encouragement. Thank you for including us in your walk. It helps increase our faith as well. I thank God every time I remember you.

Giggi said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. You did an amazing job singing this morning. I was blessed to see you up there, and thankful for you resilience. Hang in there! I believe the good stretches will get longer & longer as they continue to figure this puzzle out. I pray God will continue to reveal the pieces to the doctors. I know he has and will continue to bring blessings and answered prayers out of the good times & the bad. We love you!

Calista said...

I'm so glad you are home again. I continue to pray for you and hope that you are on your way up from all this. You are such a faithful and strong woman. I pray God leads to you healing and peace. Stay strong sweet friend.

Jess said...

You're always in my prayers, Christine! I hope you have another long stretch of feeling better VERY soon.

Sweets said...

Love from our family to your's! We're lifting you to the Lord through your suffering and your victories!