Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Inspiration

I am a Christian and an artist...two things which can often be seen in contradiction. However, I find inspiration in these quotes. I am reminded that God is the one who has put this art in me, and it is not only my desire, but also my responsibility to use my gifts for His good purposes...

"O Me! O life!...of the questions of these recurring; Of the endless trains of the faithless-of cities fill'd with the foolish; Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who, more foolish than I, and who more faithless?) Of eyes that vainly crave the light-of the objects mean-of the struggle ever renew'd; Of the poor results of all-of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me; Of the empty and useless years of the rest-with the rest me intertwined; The question, O me! so sad, recurring-What good amid these, O me, O life?
Answer. That you are here-that life exists, and identity. That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse."
~Walt Whitman

"I believe that each work of art, whether it is a work of great genius or something very small, comes to the artist and says, 'Here I am. Enflesh me. Give birth to me.' And the artist either says, 'My soul doth magnify the Lord,' and willingly becomes the bearer of the work, or refuses."
~Madeleine L'Engle

"Where are the creative men and women-the writers, the artists, the filmmakers-who will capture the imagination of our confused world in the name of Christ? Where are those who will expose by their work the vanities and contradictions of our age, and affirm with all the skill they can muster that only in Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge? May God rise up the theatrical artists to fill this gap!"
~John Akers

God is the ultimate artist...and all that He has created has His art within it. May we find the strength and courage to reach inside and use the gifts He has blessed us with for His glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tine... I'm ready for another post! I love reading what you write. You are a very wise mommy. Can't wait to see you in Smithville... Love you! Jenna