Thursday, October 30, 2008

Just some thoughts in 2008

I do not want to get into any political debates. I am thankful to live in a country where we are free to vote for what we believe is best, and today I did just that.But before I am an American, I belong to the Kingdom of God. And I am just very saddened by the way that a very well known Christian organization has chosen to use fear tactics in an attempt to sway people.

No matter who you are voting for, the "Letter from 2012 in an Obama America" does not reflect the spirit of Christ. And no matter who you are voting for, GOD IS IN CONTROL, and He has not given us a spirit of fear. I just find this letter divisive and sad, and it has absolutely nothing to do with who I do or do not want in the White House. It has more to do with the God I know, who is over all and in all, and who created and loves imperfect people, not democrats and republicans. There are lots of things that could "possibly" happen, no matter who is in office. In fact, there probably could be a letter(not even hypothetical) written, looking back from 2004, that includes some very horrible events. I can see how a non-Christian may be motivated in their voting by fear, but as children of God, we have been delivered from fear. I just think things like this are what turn people away from the Lord, not towards Him. And as Christians, isn't THAT our job? Not to slander our brothers or to tell people who to vote for or not vote for...but to point people to Christ. I just pray more than anything, that non-Christians will not view this letter as a true picture of who God is, or the kind of people He wants us to be. Jim Wallis wrote a good response

I am not endorsing a candidate here. That's not really the point. I just want people to remember that on November 5th...no matter what the outcome...God will still be on His throne. And I just don't see how something like this does anything to proclaim that.

So blue, red, or somewhere in between...praise God that HE holds the future in His hands.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Wow. How infuriating. I couldn't even get through it. After such an exciting night last night and the grace and dignity in which McCain conceded, its hard to hear that some people are so unwilling to give someone a chance.

Shiloh said...

I know it is over now, but I totally agree. I was very upset but some Christian's responses to this election. God is way bigger than all of this.