Thursday, January 13, 2005

a prayer for my baby boy

It never gets old to witness someone put on Christ in baptism. It never fails to put a lump in my throat as I watch someone make that life changing decision; as they proclaim Christ boldly before their new brothers and sisters.

Last night we performed the first half of "The Bema". There was a wonderful response and I can't wait until next week when we do the second half. We performed it in October on a weekend in the youth center, and I am so thankful that God opened the door for the whole congregation to see this life-changing drama.

After service, a young girl was baptized. Once again I sat there with a lump in my throat, along with the feeling that has become very familiar to me ever since July 28, 2004. You see that is the day that my precious son was born. Ever since that day, when I see someone baptized, especially a child, all I can think of is Jack. I am reminded of the day that I was baptized, a young girl who could barely see over the baptistry. Last night as I watched that little girl who was also too tiny to be seen except on the screen above, I was moved by that image of a little child coming to Jesus. But what was most powerful was the conviction with which she made her confession. As always, it brought me to tears and was a reminder of the bold and unwavering faith that God calls us to.

In that moment, I thought of my tiny baby boy and the day that he would make that same decision. I am a new parent, and I have already realized the great honor and responsibility we have to pray for our children. I believe it is important to pray for every aspect of their life of course. Their health, their happiness, their mate (should God's will be for them to be married).
But the most important thing we can pray for our children, every single day, is that they will give their lives to Christ; that they will make the choice for Him to be the Lord of their life, and will spend their lives seeking His will and doing all for His glory.

Today, my prayer is for my son, and I wanted to write it down so that I could share it with Him each day of his life.

My sweet Baby Jack,
I love you so much and I am so thankful that God made you my son. Out of all the angels in heaven, he sent us such a special one and I pray that each day of your life you know just how much your daddy and I love you and thank God for you. Although our love for you is so deep, it can never even compare to the awesome love that God has for you. We will fail you sometimes because we are imperfect. The only thing that keeps us going is the love and grace of God, which is completely perfect. God's love saved us from our sin and renews us each day even when we continue to fall. The Bible tells us that one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. God gives us the amazing blessing to choose to do that now! Our prayer for you is that you will seek the Lord and that one day, when you are ready, you will choose to give your life to Him. God loves you so much. He created you to be a beautiful person and you will always be His child. We are so thankful that He has let you also be our child. We love you and pray for you each day. We pray that you will love the Lord and that you will one day choose to put Him on in baptism and confess His name outloud. Until that day comes, we will never cease to pray that we will live our own lives in a way that leads you towards the cross and to that choice. We count it an amazing blessing to be your parents and we will always be here to pray for you and with you. Know that we love you and are so very proud of you.
Love, Mommy and Daddy

I cannot imagine the great joy that I will feel on the day that Jack is baptized. I know that the road leading up to that day will be full of opportunities for me to share God's love with my child, and I pray that I will take hold of those. I pray that I will always live my own life in a way that shows Him a physical reminder of the love of Christ.

I know I have a great responsibility in getting him to that day.

And then, once that day comes...the real journey will begin!

No comments: