Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Resolution

I resolve to have a broken heart.

Not a line you hear every day, I know...but bear with me. It seems that I have so desensitized myself to the evil and broken world that we live in that I can watch the news and think, "That is so sad", but then I go on with my day and often give no more thought to the horrific pain, suffering, and sin that exists all around me.

I have many "resolutions" this year, as usual...lose the baby weight, read more, drink more water,begin my graduate studies and work towards my job goals...blah, blah, blah...WHO CARES? If I am not making it my business, my priority, my LIFE to glorify the Lord, then my life is worthless. Rick spoke Sunday about boldness, about truly living Paul's words that, "to live is Christ". He made the point that yes, life is hard and we will fail...but JESUS IS LORD, and there is no mistake that we can make that will keep God from being glorified if we make that our priority.

In 2004, my life was definitely changed. I was introduced to the responsibility for another human life, and to a love that is greater than any I have ever known before. But in the midst of all this, I fear I have become even more self-centered. I love my baby boy, and I know that God wants me to do all I can do to be a good mommy, a good role model and disciple to him. But I know that even that is not my greatest responsibility in this life.

TO LIVE IS CHRIST.

Christ's heart is broken at the sight of our sin. It is broken at the sight of all who are lost and are not being reached out to. His heart is broken for the people of Asia, the people of Africa and Iraq, and for the person next door to us that we have not shared His love with.

My prayer tonight for this new year is that my heart would be broken for the things that break my Lord's heart. My prayer is that I will live boldly; that I will not live my life safely, but in a manner that drives fear into the heart of the evil that lurks outside my door. My prayer is that God will break my heart. That He will break my heart and fill it with His love, His heart, and His will alone.

If I can truly take my focus off of me and put it onto Christ and His children, then maybe I can finally wrap my head and heart around the amazing promise contained in the second half of the verse...TO DIE IS GAIN.

The best is yet to come.

4 comments:

mattr_pinson said...

You continue to amaze me. Your wisdom and your heart are awesome. I love you like crazy.

Unknown said...

you guys rule.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart in such a profound way. It's easy to become numb to the things around us and it often takes being reminded that we have a different purpose. Can't wait to see you and Jack this weekend! ~Kate

Anonymous said...

Get a room!!!