Friday, January 20, 2006

heartache

This week has been full of much heartache and sadness over one who has lost her life. I did not even know this woman personally, but knew of her because she was also a theatre major at ACU, and because my uncle is an elder at the church where her husband ministers. I can remember hearing about her in the theatre department when I was there, and she was only 4 years older than I am right now. She lost her devastating battle with depression this week tragically and so many are grieving. I have not been able to get it out of my mind or heart this week. It is my prayer that people will begin to realize how real this disease of mental illness and depression is and how devastating it can be to more people's lives than we could probably imagine. I pray that, of all places, the church will be one that is safe for those who wage war with this attack of the devil on their minds and souls.

It is my prayer that Jehovah Shammah will be ever present in the lives of this precious woman's family, especially that of her husband and her two precious girls. I have been thinking of many verses this week, but one that stuck out in my mind was Psalm 130. I pray that those who are sinking into the depths will have the strength that they need to cry out to Jehovah Raphae for healing, and that as their brothers and sisters that we will be a constant source of encouragement and reminder of Jehovah Nissi; the Lord who is our banner and our hope.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD;
O Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.
If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins,
O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness;
therefore you are feared.
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.

My soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.

O Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
for with the LORD is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.

He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins.

8 comments:

Lauren said...

Christine, I too have been thinking about Kari. Her story is so tragic and I can't imagine being so sad that the only way to end the sadness is to end my life, but I know that there are many who struggle with this on a daily basis. Thank you for having such a compassionate and gentle spirit! I really enjoy reading your thoughts.
Lauren Cunningham
Abilene, Texas

jettybetty said...

I so appreciated what Rick taught about depression last fall--it's very real--and cannot be wished away. I have not heard about the young lady you mention, but heart still breaks.

jocelyn said...

Christine,

My heart is also heavy with the weight of this sadness. I did not know her, but I knew of her. And I am heartbroken by the depth of her depression and the ramifications for so many people I know and love. Thanks for sharing your feelings. In times like this, I am speechless.

Jocelyn

Emily said...

you are such an encouragement and example to me, sis. I too call on the Lord on behalf of this family- I love you!
-em

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

Thank you Christine for those words. You should become a writer..I'm not kidding.
Write a book...I think that is your gift. Whoa.

Deana Nall said...

It wasn't until I learned Kari's maiden name that I realized I knew her when we were both kids in New Mexico. I met her again when I was working at ACU and she was a student there. I can't imagine what her family is going through. Depression took a beloved member of our congregation six years ago. The pain and devastation still linger. We can only pray for peace and healing for those left behind.

Brooks Inc. said...

Christine-

Thank you for your words.

Even when weeks pass without our paths crossing, I remain blessed by the beauty of your heart!

Becky

Kyle said...

Thanks for that. I knew Kari and was shocked when I heard this news. It's very sad and scary to know that this disease can affect the most seemingly positive of people, as Kari was always a bright smile to anyone she met.