Tuesday, April 29, 2008

my sissy...(written at an earlier date)

I almost lost my sister today. In an instant, so many emotions flooding through my mind as I thought of my life without my very best friend-the one that I can fight with like no other, and love like no other. As I sat on the side on the emergency room that I am not familiar with, I tried not to think about the visual replay I was having in my mind through the pieces of the story I had to put together. When could we see her...what would she look like? What damage had been done? Only knowing that I was sitting in the waiting room of a Level One Trauma Hospital where my sister had just been careflighted after a terrible biking accident where she was hit by a reckless rider and had landed on her head...and no, she was not wearing a helmet. Her head...she landed on her head...what would that mean? Would she even know us when we walked into the room? Would we get to go into that room anytime soon? What were they doing...why was this taking so long?

Finally..."You can go back now and see her"...my mom and I walked the winding hallway...passing beds in the hallway, bright lights shining, the horrible smell of sickess wafting in the air...then we turn into the room..."Don't be alarmed", they said..."She's very beat up...she may not look like herself". No...she doesn't. Her face...oh her poor face...she's shivering...she's in pain...her head-it's swollen...cut so close to her eye...blood everywhere...this is not my perky baby sister...she's not the one that is supposed to be in a hospital bed in pain...

Tests are normal...she can go home...she is going to be okay...in pain, but okay...oh, thank God...she has too much left to do...she is the strong one anyway...she is the independent hard worker that does so much for everyone else, that is young and in love, that has millions of friends, that loves her family fiercely and will do anything for them in an instant...and then there's the selfish part...ME, I need her...I need her HERE...she's one of the few who gets me...she doesn't judge, she doesn't even have to ask sometimes; we can be miles apart she can know that I need her...my kids...they adore her...they need their aunt Emily...see, I'm a wreck-I can't do this part-she is the strong one.

These are only a few of the frantic thoughts that went through my mind on Sunday, April 20 after my sister's accident. So many of you already know about this and have, once again, been lifting up our family in prayer, and for that we are, once again, so thankful. I cannot imagine my life without Emily...and I am so glad that I do not have to right now...she still has much recovering to do, physically and emotionally. She is so lucky to have a supportive boyfriend who loves her so much and of course we are there to do anything that we can. Of course my sweet mother has been taking care of her like she takes care of everyone. You can actually read more about all this on her blog.

Thank you so much for all of your prayers. Please continue to keep her in your prayers as she recovers and continues to process just all that she has been through. This is all so hard to put into words...all I know is that once again my family has been faced with life and death and God has once again delivered us into more life. Let us all be grateful and live that life in response to His sweet mercy.

LYLAS Emily Kaye...

*Please read my mom's blog for some more health updates on my family...when it rains it sometimes pours, but as always we trust in a God who is faithful.

2 comments:

Giggi said...

So thankful she is on the road to recovery! We all love Auntie Em.
I think its time to stay far away from the ER! Love ya!

Lynn said...

We are so happy that Emily is improving. GET HER A HELMET. I know she will have one soon if not already. You are wrong though about one thing. You ARE a strong person. You said you weren't but you are and DON'T EVER FORGET THAT. Love ya!